Our Focus When Awarding Grants
Looking for a partner in your work? Each year, the Steelcase Foundation awards grants to nonprofit projects in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Kent County) and Athens, Alabama (Limestone County) that do work related to:
- Arts and Culture
- Human Services
with a goal of directing 60 percent of our annual budget toward education.
We encourage prospective grant seekers to pursue multiple avenues for support, and typically will not support a project on our own. Last year, we awarded over $4 million, with most of our award amounts ranging from $5,000 to $250,000.
We will consider program and project-specific requests, as well as organizational mission requests. Single and multi-year requests are welcomed.
Who is not eligible for a grant?
Some things the Steelcase Foundation does not support, include:
- Grants to individuals or for religious purposes
- Grants to non-qualified organizations
- Grants that fall outside of our funding priorities or geographic focus
- Conferences, seminars or events
- Grants for projects that duplicate, or significantly overlap the work of federal, state or local government agencies
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or national origin.
Grant Application Process
Think your project might be a good fit for the Steelcase Foundation? To start the application process, send us a Letter of Inquiry that includes the following information:
- a description of your organization and project
- how much you need and when
- what you expect to accomplish through the project
- a copy of your IRS 501(c)(3) certification
Your request should be on your organization’s letterhead and signed by your chief executive officer. Please email your Letter of Inquiry to email@example.com.
What to do next?
If your Letter of Inquiry is accepted, you will be invited to submit a Grant Application. To help you best plan your request, below is our 2018 Grant Schedule.
Questions About Applying for a Grant
Have any questions? Answers to common questions about grants from the Steelcase Foundation can be found on the Grant FAQs page.