Partner Story

Restorative Practices Research-Practice Partnership (RPP) to support Kent County Youth

Grant Recipient

Michigan State University

Awarded Amount

$29,853 over one year

In 2022, the Steelcase Foundation awarded Michigan State University a one-year $29,853 grant to establish a Research-Practice Partnership with four districts within Kent ISD (Comstock Park, Kenowa Hills, Kelloggsville, and Kentwood Public Schools) and researchers from the Education Policy Innovation Collaborative (EPIC) at Michigan State University to understand the implementation and overall effects of social emotional and restorative practice programming taking place throughout the county. 

Restorative Practices (PR) is an approach used in K-12 schools that builds relationships between students, and teachers and students, in an effort to prevent misbehavior from occurring, and utilizes non-punitive methods to repair harm when misbehavior does occur, reintegrating students into the school community. About 80 percent of RP is proactive and focused on building relationships and community among those in the classroom, while the remaining 20 percent is focused on restorative measures and reteaching when issues occur.

Hear from researchers and district leaders participating in the Research Practice Partnership to learn more about their work and their hopes for future impact countywide.